Rennes president Arnaud Pouille faced the media this Wednesday as part of Franck Haise’s introduction as the club’s new head coach. The former RC Lens manager, who was a free agent following the end of his tenure with OGC Nice last December, effectively replaced Habib Beye, who was dismissed last week.
Until today, Rennes have never officially announced they had parted ways with the former Senegal international right-back. In their statement last week, Les Rouge et Noir said they started a “procedure” against Beye, who was relieved of his duties. Beye is now on his way to sign for Marseille and replace the departed Roberto De Zerbi.
Pouille has confirmed that Beye asked to leave Rennes the day after the team’s embarassing 3-0 away defeat to Marseille in the Coupe de France. “We terminated Habib Beye’s contract, and the reasons for it are set out in the letter he received“, said Pouille. “What surprised me was the day after the Coupe de France defeat, with his wish to leave. We were four days away from the end of the transfer window we all worked on.“
Although Pouille said he’s trying not to be surprised by anything in football, he felt the timing of Beye’s decision was “strange“.
Copyright 2023 footby.one
All Rights Reserved